1. When responding to an adult, you must answer by saying ” Yes,” or ” No”. Just nodding your head or saying any other form of yes or no is not acceptable.
2. Make eye contact. If someone is speaking, keep your eyes on him or her at all times. If someone makes a comment, turn to face him or her.
3. If someone in class wins a game or does something well, we will congratulate that person.
4. During a discussion, respect other student’s comments, ideas, and opinions.
5. If you win or do well at something, do not brag. If you lose, do not show anger.
6. If you are asked a question in conversation, you should ask a question in return.
7. When you cough, sneeze, or burp, it appropriate to turn your head away from others and cover your mouth the full part of your hand. Using a fist is not acceptable. Afterward say, “Excuse me.”
8. Do not smack your lips, tsk, roll your eyes, or show disrespect with gestures.
9. Always say, “Thank you,” when I give you something. If you do not say it within 3 seconds of receiving the item, I will take it away.
10. When you are given something from someone, never insult that person by making negative comments about the gift or by insinuating that it wasn’t appreciated.
11. Surprise others by performing random acts of kindness.
12. Occasionally we may grade each other’s papers as a group. The only marks you are allowed to make on others’ papers are an “X” or “ü ” and the score.
13. When we read together in class, you must follow along. If I call on you to read, you must know exactly where we are and begin reading immediately.
14. Answer all written questions with a complete sentence.
15. Do not ask for a reward.
16. Homework will be turned in on time.
17. When we are in transition from one subject to the other, the change will be swift, quiet and orderly.
18. You will make every effort to be as organized as possible.
19. When I assign homework, there is to be no moaning or complaining. This may result in an additional assignment.
20. While you are with a substitute teacher, you will obey the same rules that you follow when I am with you. (I know this is hard but is important.)
21. We will follow certain classroom rules. We will be organized, efficient and on task.
A. Do not get out of your seat without permission. Exception: If you are sick, leave immediately.
B. Do not speak unless:
1. You raise your hand, and I call on you.
2. I ask you a question and you are responding.
3. It is recess or lunch.
C. Or I instruct you otherwise (for example, during group work).
22. You may bring a bottle of water and leave it on your classroom desk or in your teacher’s designated area. Do not ask me if you can get water while I am teaching a lesson.
23. Quickly learn the names of other teachers in the school and greet them by name.
24. Flush the toilet and wash your hands after using the restroom. Keep yourself and the bathroom germ-free. Be sure to throw the hand towels in the wastebasket.
25. We will often have visitors to our school. Welcome and treat them with respect.
26. Do not save seats in the classroom or an assembly. If someone wants to sit down, let him or her. Do not try to exclude anyone. We are a family, and we must treat one another with respect and kindness.
27. If a teacher in the school is speaking to or disciplining a student, mind your own business.
28. If you have a question about your homework, you may contact me.
29. There are several manners dealing with food that you must follow: These are the ABC’s of Etiquette.
30. After you eat, clean up after yourselves. This includes cleaning off the tables and desktops making sure we haven’t left any trash on the floor or around the eating area. It is important to be responsible for your trash no matter where you are and to be sure not to litter.
31. When we ride on a bus, we will always sit facing forward. We will never turn around to talk to other students, stick anything out of the windows, or get out of our seats. When we exit the bus, we will always thank the bus driver and chaperones.
32. When we go on field trips we will meet different people. When I introduce you to the people, make sure that you remember their names. Then, when we are leaving, make sure to shake their hands and thank them.
33. Whenever you are offered food, whether it be on a buffet or treats in class, never take more than your fair share. You never want to be greedy and try to get more than you should. Not only because it is wasteful but also because it is disrespectful to others when you do not leave enough for them.
34. Whether we are in school or on a field trip, if someone drops something, pick it up and hand it back to them.
35. If you approach a door and someone is following you, hold the door open.
36. If someone bumps into you, even if it was not your fault, say, “Excuse me.”
37. When we are on a field trip, there will be no talking as we enter a building. We will enter the building so quietly that no one will even notice that we are there.
38. If we are on a field trip, it is a good idea to compliment something about the place where we are visiting.
39. During an assembly, do not speak and do not look around and try to get the attention of your friends in other classes. We should show appreciation in an appropriate manner.
40. When in a line, walk single file, with your arms at your sides. You should quietly face forward at all times.
41. Never cut in line. If someone cuts n front of you, do not say or do anything about it. Let it happen, but let me know about it. I will handle the situation. Please handle all disputes with other classmates in the same manner, by coming to me with any problems before you take matters into your own hands.
42. During a movie or presentation, there will be no talking whatsoever.
43. If any child in this school is bothering you, let me know. I am your teacher, and I am here to look after you and protect you. I am not going to let anyone in this school bully you or make you feel uncomfortable. In return, I ask that you not take matters into your own hands; let me deal with the student.
44. Be positive and enjoy life. Some things just aren’t worth getting upset over. Keep everything in perspective and focus on the good in your life.
45. Live so that you will never have regrets. Work hard and follow the rules to make your dreams come true.
46. Accept that you are going to make mistakes. Learn from them and move on.
47. No matter what the circumstances, always be honest. Even if you have done something wrong, It is best to admit it to me, because I will respect that.
48. Be the best person you can be.
49. Be sure to push in your chair when you leave your work area.